Thursday, December 1, 2011

What a year!

I have had a great year!

Last year just before my birthday I decided to make a list of things that I wanted to do before my next birthday. It seemed a bit silly at first but I kept at it. Then, the list started to keep me focused and I realized that these little goals were starting to add up and I was starting to feel accomplished!

Not all of them were big, in fact some were quite ordinary (like cleaning out some closets, riding my bike), others were more adventurous (like zip lining and competing in a variety of running events) and some were just for fun (pedicure, massage, drinking my 1st beer). But one I feel is monumental! I set the goal of running 600 miles. There were times that I felt that was way out of reach but I kept chugging along. I added up my mileage today - i can hardly believe i logged 913.33 miles! There was only one thing I didn't accomplish completely - my church attendance was not what it should have been! Wonder if I get any extra credit for reading the Old Testament?

What I know is that without the list I might have done some of these things this year, but there is a very good chance I would not have had so many great experiences or made so many new friends. I hope I can continue to do some of the things I started like blogging, keeping up with photos, donating blood......

A few photos from my 38th year:

This was taken at the 2010 Jingle Bell Run:
The 2010 Mother's Day 5K:

Ziplining at Hocking Hills:

Finish line of the Columbus Half Marathon:

2011 Turkey Trot



Tonight, on the eve of my 39th birthday I have been pondering what to do about this next year. Should I make another list? Should I just identify a few things because I don't know that I can make a list of 40 new items?!?!


Because I feel so succesful from last year, I decided to start writing down some ideas - up to 26 so far. I hope to get this finished by the end of the weekend. Would love to get some suggestions from friends to finish it up. Here is a sampling of what I have right now:

* Jog 1,000 miles (eek! that is nearly 20 miles EVERY week!)

* Complete the Athens Half Marathon in April

* Organizing closets & cupboards

* Decreasing time in a few other races like the Chik-Fil-A & Mother's Day 5K

* Trying a new recipe every month

* Shedding a few more pounds

* Read the New Testament & try again with the church stuff

* Fundraising & other charitable donations

* Sponsoring a child through a program like World Vision

* Bowling, tennis, roller skating

* Spa day with Samantha

* Lunch with Sam at her school

Thanks to everyone who supported & encouraged this endeavor. I would encourage everyone to make their own lists, maybe to start on your birthday or at the New Year. It can be a lot of fun.


Until next time,

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment